Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Place Prepared For Me

You may have seen my Five Minute Friday post on Home last week. When I saw that was the word for the day, my heart knew I had plenty to say about it. But getting it out into words isn't always the easiest.

It seems like home is all I think about these days. I'm homesick. I hadn't thought about it this way before. But that's what it is. I'm homesick. Not for a place I've loved and left. Believe me, I know there are many people in this world who are away from home and can't wait to get back. But for me homesick has a slightly different meaning. I'm homesick for that home I haven't found yet. I don't know if it's better or worse. 

I can't imagine being a soldier in a foreign country longing for their home. They can picture it, remember how it looks and smells, the way the light shines in or how comfortable the couch is. They can see their family there and remember all the great times they've had. And it must be heartbreaking to not be there. They might sometimes wish that they didn't know what they were missing.

At the same time, I kind of wish I could see my home and what it looks like and the way the sun shines through the windows and the colors and what kind of neighborhood it's in. I want to have an actual picture in my mind. It would make it easier to imagine my husband and I and our friends hanging out, maybe having a barbecue or playing games. To see me trying to make dinner, planting my first garden, meeting the neighbors... After all, it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. If only I could see what I will one day have, it might make the waiting slightly easier.

And yet, I also know that God's plan and timing are perfect, and that the home He one day reveals to us will be more than my husband and I can imagine. And I can't wait for that wonderful surprise! Meanwhile, I'm just praying about it and longing for it more and more every day. I even found myself crying about it to God the other day. And you know what? He already knows. But it felt good to tell Him.

This verse made me smile: See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. (Exodus 23:20)

Which then reminded me of this: My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (John 14:2-3)

God isn't just preparing an earthly home for me - He's preparing a heavenly one! Did you know He's preparing one for you, too?! How awesome to know that God has a place for each one of us to live with Him forever :)

No comments:

Post a Comment